Sunday, July 3, 2022

I am of the Earth – by Anna Lee Walters

 


I am of the earth

She is my mother

She bore me with pride

She reared with me love

She cradled me each evening

She pushed the wind to make it sing

She built me a house of harmonious colours

She fed me the fruits[M1]  of her fields

She rewarded me with memories of her smiles

She punished me with the passing of time

And at last, when I long to leave

She will embrace me for eternity

 

The theme: The cycle of life and the connection between the earth and us

Techniques:

o   No punctuation – indicates the continuous nature of the cycle of life – there is no pause/end to it

o   An unrhymed free verse of 12 lines – the earth is unpredictable

o   “She” is used 10 out of the 12 beginnings

o   Personification

Visual images 

 [M1]Harvest

No comments:

Post a Comment

The “humour” poems in our syllabus while providing humour, attempt to convey some greater truths. Discuss this statement with relevance to three poems in your syllabus:

  The term “humour” is often associated with silliness, meaninglessness, lack of depth, etc. Therefore, when a poem receives the “appellatio...