Saturday, July 14, 2018

Action and Reaction – Chitra Fernando

                                                                                       Citra Fernando - Author

                           
Setting
·         A village in the southern coast of Sri Lanka
·         The story depicts Sinhala Buddhist culture through names and practices

Characters
Mahinda - The narrator – a university educated westernized person

Loku Nanda
·         An ugly unmarried woman possessive of her wealth 
·         “Unless they were her relations Loku Nanda kept all men at a safe distance”
·         She practices popular Buddhism - Does a lot of meritorious need to outshine others and to obtain comforts in the next life
·         Commanded respect form her family and acted as the arbiter of family matters – smoking
·         “everyone acknowledged loku Nanda to be the wisest. This was her own opinion as well - naturally”
·         Egoistic: gloats that her pirith mandapa was “ten times nicer than” Mrs Welikala’s
·         In the end she becomes old and wheelchair-bound and at the mercy of Kusuma
·         “It’s my Karma. It’s My Karma” – she tells Mahinda
 
Punch Nanada
·         “though she was always singing Loku nanda’s praise she had a strange preference for living in our house”
·         She thought it was “much better for Kusuma to stay with loku Nanda than going off with that Piyadasa and having ten children”

Kusuma
·         A child from a poor family of toddy-tapers raised by Loku Nanda as a servant
·         Loku Nanda prevents her from going to Colombo with Mahinda’s family and later from marrying Piyadasa
·         She turns into a carbon copy of Loku Nanda
·         She too does meritorious deeds to obtain a better life in the next birth 
·         She wants “the merits” from her dhana to be “hers and hers alone”

Themes
·         Karma – one’s deeds determine the kind of life one would here and in the lives to come
·         Popular Buddhism – religion as a status symbol; to satisfy one’s ego
·         Spinsterhood – fear of marriage; sexual frustration

Techniques
·         Local hues: names – Mahinda, Kusuma; kinship terms – Loku Nanda, Nangi; places – Galle, Matara; sweets – Kevun, kokis, aluva
·         Irony - “everyone acknowledged loku Nanda to be the wisest. This was her own opinion as well - naturally”

26 comments:

  1. Thank you very much this is very helpful my studies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnk u very much it is more useful for developing my answer

      Delete
  2. Thankyou so much.this was very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This was very helpful But can you please give more information about this short story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The information is not sufficient.... would be nicer if you could please update some more productive points on the topic 😁♥️

      Delete
  4. It's quite helpful but I could notice some spelling mistakes and wrong preferences.. any way these points are basic points any 1 could understand soo it's not much useful..better TRYING AGAIN LADY..😶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sir/Madam, it would be very helpful if you could point out the specific mistakes in the post so that I can correct them as my knowledge of English is quite limited as I am a second language speaker of the language. Yes, they are basic points as writing very complected articles is beyond my abilities I dare not attempt

      Delete
  5. Thanks it was quite helpfull.✨
    Please upload summary of the same short story.again thanx..🤗

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where is the comments on the title? I couldn't find the most important thing which I need. Weak content and Analise.👎👎👎👎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sir/Madam, I did not know what I should write in the blog as I had no idea that you needed an analyses of the title and "the most important things" which you needed. Please feel free to keep me informed so I could include all the points you need in my future posts. Until then :-)

      Delete
  7. Thanks this was help me to make short note about story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks it was quite helpful my studies.It is more useful for developing my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks it was quite helpful my studies.It is more useful for developing my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks it was quite helpful my studies.It is more useful for developing my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite helpful for making short notes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite helpful to remember the whole story but the analysis should be a powerful argument to the title "Acton and Reaction"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear all, this is not a complete analysis of the story as you can see. I have made some notes for some assignment that I thought might be useful to you as well. Please know that I am not obliged to provide what you want in the blog :-) However, any constructive criticism is warmly welcome! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

The “humour” poems in our syllabus while providing humour, attempt to convey some greater truths. Discuss this statement with relevance to three poems in your syllabus:

  The term “humour” is often associated with silliness, meaninglessness, lack of depth, etc. Therefore, when a poem receives the “appellatio...